OPT: Maintaining Your Status

While on Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT), the rules for maintaining your status are different from during your program of study. During your program of study, your status is based on your program start and end dates. Once on OPT, your status is now based on your OPT start and end dates (as found on your EAD). It is important to follow the rules of OPT so you can continue to maintain your F-1 visa status.

As a reminder:If you have timely filed your OPT application and have received an I-797 receipt notice from USCIS, you may remain in the United States while waiting on a decision from USCIS, even after the end of your 60 day grace period. You may not begin work until your application has been approved by USCIS and you have received your EAD card.

To maintain your status on OPT, you must:

  • Work 20 or more hours per week
  • Work in your major field of study
  • Update our office of any changes to your employment, address, or contact information within 10 days
  • Not accrue more than 90 days of unemployment

Work 20 or More Hours Per Week, In Your Field of Study

Work on OPT should be directly related to your major field of study-- this means you should be able to connect your employment to the core classes for the degree you completed at IUPUI. There are many types of allowable employment while on OPT

  • Paid Employment

    You may work for pay while on Post-Completion OPT. Note: Working at least 20 hours per week on OPT is considered full-time employment by DHS.

  • Multiple Employers

    You may work for multiple employers, but all employment must be related to your field of study and your total hours must add up to at least 20 hours per week across all employments.

  • Work for Hire

    You may perform services on a contractual relationship with an employer, rather than be hired as their regular employee. You should maintain evidence of every contractual job you accept

  • Self-Employment

    You may start your own business and be self-employed. In this situation, you must work at least 20 hours per week and able to prove you have proper business licenses and are actively engaged in a business related to your degree program

  • Employment Through an Agency

    You must be able to provide evidence showing that you worked an average of at least 20 hours/week while employed by the agency. You should report the name of your actual employer and the site location where you physically work.

  • Unpaid Volunteer Employment

    Yes, you can do two types of volunteering:

    True Volunteer Work:

    Completely volunteer in the spirit of service, good examples of this include volunteering at a place of worship, hospital, or school.. This is not considered employment in any way. You do not need to report this to OIA or immigration. You should NOT report this in your SEVIS Student Portal.

    Avoiding Unemployment:

    Volunteering as a means to avoid hitting your 90-days of unemployment while on OPT limit. In this case, your volunteer work must adhere to the same OPT employment guidelines as employment to count as employment for immigration purposes:

    1. Must be related to your field of study
    2. Must be for at least 20 hours per week

    Be aware, volunteer work must be unpaid for anyone else doing the same type of work. If you are unpaid but someone else is paid, this is a violation of labor law.

    It is your responsibility to evaluate your own volunteer opportunity and ensure that it is truly volunteer work. You are also responsible for keeping track of your duties and hours worked. Questions on both could come up in a future benefit request (like an application for STEM extension or H1-B application).

    Only report this type of volunteer work to OIA or the SEVIS Student Portal if your work is directly related to your field of study. 

Update OIA With Changes to Your Employment and Personal Information

Even while on OPT, you must update OIA with any changes to your local address, email, and telephone number. Your IU email account may be deactivated if you are not actively enrolling in classes, it is highly recommended that you report a personal email address so that important communications from OIA reach you while on OPT. You can update your local address and contact information through the Personal Information app in One.IU. You must report any changes to your address within 10 days of the change.

Once your OPT begins, you will gain access to new e-forms to report your employment. To do this, you’ll use the e-form "OPT Employer Information" under F-1 Practical Training. You must report any changes to your employment within 10 days of the change.

The following can help you decide how to properly complete the OPT Employer Information e-form in Atlas.

  • I am adding a new employer

    Select this option if you are reporting a new employment. You should also use this option if you are changing employers (ending one employment and beginning another).

    If you have a pending STEM extension application and you have changed employers, you should carefully follow the instructions in the e-form and approval email to ensure our office can update your application with USCIS.

  • I am updating information from a previously reported employment

    If you need to update any information about your previously reported employment you should select this option. Use this option to report changes in work address, changes in hours above or below full time (20 hours per week), changes in supervisor, your employer has changed their name, ect. You only need to report the employer name and what information needs to be updated. You should NOT select this option if you are changing employers completely.

    Note: if you work for multiple employers and are ending employment with only one, select this option and provide the end date of your current employment.

  • I'm completing a STEM OPT validation check-in

    This is only used while on the STEM OPT 24 month extension.

  • I have ended my employment and I am currently unemployed

    Select this option if you you need to report you have ended all employment and are currently unemployed. Remember, all changes to employment, including ending your employment, should be reported within 10 days of the change.

  • How do I explain how my employment is connected to my field of study?

    In the e-form, you will need to explain how the work you do for your OPT employment is directly related to your major field of study. We recommend being able to make connections with the core classes you took in your degree program.

    SEVP released guidance on September 27, 2019 requiring schools to collect and report information regarding the connection between a student's OPT work and their degree program. In that guidance SEVP provided these examples of the paragraph explaining how a student's work is connected to what they studied: 

    1. Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering: "I work full time as an Electrical Engineer at ABC Corp., a government contractor. In my job, I analyze client requirements for electrical systems and provide them with cost estimates of such systems. My work requires understanding of electrical circuit theory, which I studied in-depth at the University of ABC."

    2. Bachelor's degree in Business: "I work full time as a Loan Officer at a mortgage company, Happy Homes, where I meet with clients and evaluate, authorize and recommend approval of loan applications. On a daily basis, I use the knowledge I gained in my credit analysis, sales and marketing classes that I took as part of my major program of study."

    3. Master's degree in Music: "I am working at a hospital playing the harp in patient rooms. I also conduct hands-on harp beginner workshops for long-term patients. On average, I work at the hospital 35 hours a week. My duties directly utilize the skills and knowledge I acquired from my coursework and degree in music therapy."

    4. Master's degree in Kinesiology: "I am working 25 hours a week in a health food store as a consultant for Self-Made Inc., designing and teaching exercise classes that are incorporated into a customer's overall nutrition and exercise plan. My designs and customer instruction draw upon my studies and classwork in exercise therapy and physical reconditioning."

    5. PhD in Computer Science: "I am employed as a Computer and Information Research Scientist at ABC Research Institute. I work as part of a team of scientists and engineers that designs experiments to test the operation of various software systems. My work builds on research in complex algorithms and machine learning, which I studied as part of my dissertation."

    What you need to include in your explanation:

    SEVP stated that they want a paragraph explaining the connection between your studies and your OPT work to include the following information:

    • Your job title
    • Your employer name (the company where you work)
    • Your academic program/major
    • The average number of hours you work per week, or statement that you are full time
    • An explanation of how your job directly relates to what you studied - your regular duties at work should be mentioned and connected to what you learned during your academic program 

    Please note--there is a 1000 character limit for these paragraphs, so you need to keep your answer concise.

Accrue No More Than 90 Days of Unemployment

Students on OPT can be unemployed for up to 90 days of their 12 month OPT period. This unemployment "clock" does not begin until your OPT begins (the start date listed on your EAD card). Students will still accrue unemployment days even if they exit the United States. If you are working but employed for less than 20 hours per week, you will still accrue unemployment days. 

If you near your 90th day of unemployment while on OPT, it is best to make plans to depart the United States, apply for a change of status, or make preparations to begin a new degree program. Take action early enough so that by the end of the 90th day of unemployment, you have another option already in progress. If you are unemployed for more than 90 days, you are considered to be out of status.

What are the Available OPT Extensions?

If you are an F-1 student whose OPT is based on a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree in a STEM field, as defined by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), you may be eligible for a 24-month extension of OPT.

Learn more about the OPT STEM extension »

If you are an F-1 student whose employer has sponsored you for an H-1B work visa and your work authorization will begin October 1st, you may qualify for the Cap-Gap extension.

Learn more about the Cap-Gap extension »

Frequently Asked Questions

  • When I am on OPT, what is my status? Can I extend my OPT like I could extend my I-20?

    OPT is part of F-1 status. Though you may no longer be a student, you are still in F-1 status.

    A 24-month extension of OPT is only possible for students who are completing a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree in DHS-designated STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) fields. If your degree is in a non-STEM field, the maximum amount of time for which you are eligible for OPT is 12 months for each higher degree level. See the information about STEM Extensions above.

  • Can I travel during my OPT?

    Yes, but it can be very difficult to apply for an F-1 visa stamp while you are on OPT. If your visa stamp is expired, or will soon expire, keep this in mind. Please feel free to discuss your plans with an international student advisor at OIA before you travel.

    If you are traveling while on OPT, you are advised to carry the following:

    • Your I-20, signed for travel (remember that each travel signature is valid for only six months during the period of OPT)
    • A valid F-1 visa stamp
    • A passport valid for at least six months into the future from the date of re-entry to the United States
    • A valid OPT (EAD) card
    • A job offer or confirmation letter. If you are traveling for business or on a vacation from the job, ensure that the letter clarifies this.

    Individuals with a Cap-Gap Extension

    The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) strongly recommends that you not travel during your cap-gap extension. USCIS may consider your application to change from F-1 to H-1B as abandoned and deny the change.

  • What is the SEVP Student Portal?

    The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Student Portal is a "student view" of information in your SEVIS record. Be advised that while you can use the Student Portal, its functionality is very limited. You must still use Atlas for your employment and other reporting obligations while on OPT. OIA updates your SEVIS record with any changes as required by law. Information you provide in the SEVIS Student Portal could potentially be incorrect based on your situation and cause you problems in the future. If you have questions or need assistance accessing the SEVIS Student Portal, please email oia@iupui.edu 

  • Will my International Student Insurance continue while I’m on OPT?

    If you already have IU International Student Insurance through IUPUI, it will expire at the end of the period of insurance coverage. The last day of coverage for Spring/Summer insurance is July 31, and the last day of fall insurance coverage is December 31.  Typically, students who will not register for classes will use the insurance offered through their employer. If your OPT employer does not provide you with insurance coverage and you would like information about other options, contact iadvisor@iupui.edu.

    If you register for classes at IUPUI any time during your OPT period, you will be billed automatically for IU International insurance. If you would like to request exemption from mandatory student insurance enrollment, you must complete a Health Insurance Exemption Request in Atlas.

  • Can I take classes or start a new degree program while on OPT?

    If you begin study at another education level, your OPT authorization is terminated with the notification of a new degree program in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) or with a transfer of your SEVIS record to another institution. You are supposed to work full time while on OPT.

    If you are pursuing full-time work in your major field of study and wish to take a class or two, there should not be a problem with this, provided that you do not begin a new education level.

    If you plan to begin a new academic program on a full time basis at IUPUI, you will need to fill out the e-form called “New Program I-20 Request” in Atlas.

    If you wish to transfer to another college or university in the United States, you must also fill out the "Transfer Out Request" e-form request in Atlas.

    These e-form requests must be submitted before you begin a new program, and the OIA approval for these requests must be granted no later than the end of the 60-day grace period following completion of OPT. OPT will automatically terminate on the day your SEVIS record is transferred to a new institution or the day your new program (at IUPUI) begins or your actual OPT end date, whichever is first.