General Tax Information

The US Federal and Indiana State income tax return filing and payment deadline is April 18, 2022. 

Forms and information are available through the U.S. Federal Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Indiana Department of Revenue (INDOR). If you worked in a state other than Indiana in 2021, you may need to file income tax returns in that state as well.

  • Do I have to pay taxes?

    All international persons living in the U.S. are required to comply with the U.S. requirement to file federal and state income tax “returns” and pay any required taxes by April 18, 2022, for any U.S. income received in 2021.  If you paid any taxes in error, filing a U.S. and Indiana State tax return is the only way to receive a refund of these taxes.

  • I made no U.S. income. Do I have to do anything?

    If you made no U.S. income in 2021, you still must complete form 8843 if you were in the U.S. in 2021 and are still here. The instructions for completing form 8843 can be found here.

  • Do I need any forms to complete my tax return?

    You cannot complete your tax forms until you have received a report of the previous year's income.  This is generally reported on form W-2 or 1042-S.  IU employees received the W-2 in late January.  The 1042-S is typically prepared and sent by IU’s tax office in February. If you received additional income—say as an independent contractor—you may receive a 1099MISC. It is common to not receive all of these forms, only those appropriate for your tax situation. 

    If you are a non-resident for tax purposes, you will be able to use Sprintax to prepare your federal tax return. Sprintax will help you complete form 1040NR and form 8843. Sprintax will enable you to compile all forms of U.S. income regardless of the type of form the income was reported on.  You can prepare your federal tax return with Sprintax for free by entering a discount code (found in the Insurance and Finances menu in Atlas) in the "Review your order" page in Sprintax.

  • State tax resources

    Sprintax - You can use Sprintax to complete your state tax forms for $39.95 with IU's discount code.  

    IN DOR online resources - Alternately, the Indiana Department of Revenue (IN DOR) makes Indiana state tax forms and instructions available online.  You can use these resources if you would like to complete your Indiana State tax return at no cost. Below are additional Indiana state tax resources: 

    • Download Form IT-40PNR from this page (scroll down to the IT-40PNR section). You will complete all schedules but B and G
    • IN DOR prefers that you email your questions to
    • Call IN DOR Customer Service at 317-232-2240 from 8am-4:30pm. We recommend you call early to avoid long wait times.
    • Call one of 12 IN DOR District Offices across the state for assistance with state tax questions. 

    OIA will be providing information on state tax workshops and resources available to you as a student so you may complete your own Indiana state tax return. 

  • Cares Act

    The Cares Act was introduced by the U.S. government in April 2020. It provided individual taxpayers an initial stimulus payment of $1200 and then more recently an additional $600 to off-set the financial hardship caused by COVID-19.

    To receive this payment a person needed to:

    • Have a valid SSN.
    • Be considered a resident for tax purposes for 2020.
    • Not be claimed as a dependent in tax year 2019.

    Although filing a 2018 or 2019 tax return as a resident cued the IRS to send payment, some persons who did not file tax returns still received the payment if they notified the IRS of their eligibility.  Some international students and scholars who have received a stimulus check in error are realizing that they filed the wrong tax forms in the past.  This blog site from Sprintax explains both how to return the stimulus check and how to file an amended tax return for either 2018 or 2019 if you realize that you filed as a resident when you should have filed as a nonresident.  Your choices at this point are to use Sprintax and refile your amended 2018 or 2019 return as a nonresident, or you can file on your own obtaining the correct forms which in most cases would be forms 1040NR or 104NR-EZ for the federal return and form IT-40PNR for the state return.  These can be obtained from the websites.

    Sprintax charges $70.95 to prepare a previous year’s amended return and $29.95 to prepare a state return for a prior year. OIA cannot cover filing expenses for amended returns.

If you believe that you should have received a W-2 or a 1042-S and haven’t, you can request a Form W-2 from this website or you can request Form 1042-S from here.  You can also request either of the forms in paper from this link.
You may receive a form 1098-T or a form 1095. These are not needed if you are a non-resident for tax purposes.

The Office of International Affairs also has Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) acceptance agents on staff who can assist you in applying for an ITIN so that you can file your federal tax return if you or your dependents are not eligible for a social security number.

You must report your personal information using IU’s secure system called Foreign National Information System (FNIS).