Taxes & Social Security Numbers

Each year, that you live in the U.S. you will need to file paperwork related to your tax status.  The Office of International Affairs offers you resources to assist in filing your individual 2019 tax return. 

Did you make U.S. income?

  • No

    Then you only need to complete Form 8843. Please see the form and instructions here.

    If you do this on paper it is free.  If you use Sprintax you will pay $15.

  • Yes

    Use Sprintax the online tax preparation software that our office has purchased to assist you. See: Sprintax. You can do this on your own, or plan to attend a tax workshop and complete it there. See: Tax Workshops

    You will need to file a state tax return. You can plan to attend a workshop or you can prepare it on your own using Sprintax. Although for students and scholars Sprintax is free for federal tax preparation, it costs $25 for state tax preparation.

Please note some things have changed since last year.  There is no personal exemption so all of your U.S. income is taxable.  However some of the tax brackets decreased.  This has more implications if you made little U.S. income.  Also only residents of Canada, Mexico, Korea and students from India may be able to claim their children as dependents.

Visit General Information for more info.