Full-time enrollment is essential to maintain your F-1 student visa status
To maintain your legal F-1 status in the U.S., you must be enrolled full-time each fall and spring semester. You do not have to enroll in summer sessions unless you begin your program of study at IUPUI in the summer.
Full-time enrollment requirements includes:
- Undergraduates must enroll in at least 12 credit hours each fall and spring semester.
- Graduate students must enroll in at least 8 credit hours each fall and spring semester.
- Professional students (Dentistry, MD, JD) should follow full-time enrollment requirements as determined by their academic program.
Dropping below full-time enrollment without authorization from OIA is a serious violation of your F-1 status!Read about full-time exceptions and procedures
You may take courses at another school that will count towards your full-time enrollment requirement at IUPUI. However, you must:
- Maintain at least one regular (not online) course at IUPUI
- Report your concurrent enrollment using the Concurrent Enrollment Verification eForm in Atlas.
- Consult with an academic advisor to make sure any courses you take at another school will transfer to IUPUI and count towards your degree program.
You can take classes online to help fulfill your full-time enrollment requirement as an F-1 student. However, only one online 3-credit class will count toward your enrollment requirement each semester. You may not take only an online course in your final semester of study.
Incomplete courses from a previous semester may not count towards your full-time enrollment for a current semester. Additionally, you may not use incomplete courses to extend your program. For F-1 status purposes, your program will be considered completed at the end of your final semester, even if you have an incomplete course.
Students must be enrolled full time or have received permission to under enroll prior to the full-time enrollment deadline. Each fall and spring semester the full-time enrollment deadline is 30 days after the first day of classes.