Become a Mentor
Our mentor application for academic year 2021-2022 is now open.
Becoming an IPMP mentor is a growing experience that will help you develop your leadership and professional skills. IPMP mentor selection is a competitive process, but we encourage you to consider making it a part of your story!
IPMP Mentors are selected each year to serve for a minimum of one academic year. Please find the eligibility requirements and application process below.
The IPMP is a global family of mentors, coordinators, a manager and director, and of course our mentees hailing from countries all over the world. Our mission is simple:
We aim to guide the successful social, cultural, and academic adjustment of IUPUI students from all over the world. IPMP equips undergraduate international students with the knowledge, support system, and tools to prosper at IUPUI and in the US.
The IPMP team accomplishes this mission through pre-arrival assistance, one on one mentoring, social opportunities, and cultural programming.
Learn about IPMP at a "Call Out" Informational Meeting
Date: Monday October 5, 2020
Time: 3-4PM EST
Location: Zoom Link TBD
Date: Thursday October 15, 2020
Time: 4-5PM EST
Location: Zoom Link TBD
Date: Tuesday October 27, 2020
Time: 5-6PM EST
More dates too be announced, please check back soon!
Follow Us on Social Media
IPMP on facebook.com/theIPMP/
IPMP on Instagram @IUPUIglobal
The Mentor Role
IPMP mentors engage in the following:
- Attend weekly meetings and monthly Socials on Friday afternoons, 2:30–4:00pm for team building and intercultural learning
- Collaborate with a 3-member team to provide direct peer mentoring to incoming students
- Learn about one specific area of the Office of International Affairs (Marketing and Event Planning, International Orientation, or Welcome)
- Enroll in a 1-credit University College mentoring course to improve mentoring skills (Courses are tuition-free)
Priority Application Deadline: November 15, 2020 at 11:59pm EST
Application Closes: January 4, 2021 at 11:59pm ESTApplications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Complete applications received by the priority deadline will be given preference for the date on which their group interview is held. Submitting an application by the priority deadline DOES NOT guarantee an interview. However, due to the competitive nature of this process, we do encourage early submissions.
- Group Interviews will take place in January 2021
- Individual Interviews will take place beginning one week after group interviews in January
Mandatory Training Dates: IUPUI students selected to serve as an International Peer Mentor are required to attend mandatory training on the following dates
- Monday May 10, 2021
- Friday May 14, 2021
- Saturday May 15, 2021
- Sunday May 16, 2021
Why become a mentor?
In addition to receiving a leadership scholarship, IPMP mentors advance their leadership and professional skills, make friends from around the world, and improve their inter-cultural communication skills.
Being an IPMP mentor is a great way to build your resume and demonstrate your maturity, excellence and leadership abilities to future employers.
Mentor Leadership Scholarship Eligibility
IPMP is a university funded leadership scholarship. To qualify to join IPMP you must:
- Be a full-time undergraduate student at IUPUI throughout the semesters during which you will serve as a mentor.
- Must have successfully completed at least 12 credit hours at IUPUI prior to the start of the Spring application process.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 2.800 or higher.
- Must be in good standing with the university and have no record of disciplinary action.
- Fall Semester: Must be present in Indianapolis during the month of August and accessible throughout the Fall semester.
- Spring Semester: If chosen to renew for the Spring semester, must also be present in Indianapolis during the month of January and accessible throughout Spring semester.
- Must be available to attend all trainings:
- one day on-campus training (May)
- 3-day training at Bradford Woods immediately following Spring semester final exams in May.
- two day on-campus training during the last week of July or first week of August.
Skills and Abilities of Great Mentors
- Possess positive communication and teamwork skills.
- Demonstrate reliability and have strong personal initiative.
- Interact effectively and patiently with people from diverse cultures with varying levels of English proficiency.
- Have a strong desire to impact the international student experience.
Becoming a mentor involves four simple steps:
- Read the application instructions carefully, especially the IPMP Service Learning Areas Description.pdf
- Submit your Mentor Application which includes:
- Online mentor application
- Resume (should provide information about your past volunteer services, leadership experiences, scholarships, and awards)
- A 2-3 paged, double-spaced (12 pt font) statement of purpose, making sure to include the following information:
- Why are you applying to IPMP? What do you think it means to be a mentor?
- What unique contributions do you think you can make to this program?
- What do you hope to get out of it personally and professionally?
- Two letters of recommendation submitted directly to the Office of International Affairs in sealed envelopes or via email to email@example.com
- Attend a group interview.
- After receiving your completed application, OIA will contact you to confirm your group interview time, date, and location.
- If selected, attend an individual interview.
Application & Decision Timeline
The 2021-2022 IPMP mentor application is now open!
Priority deadline: November 15th, 11:59pm EST.Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Complete applications received by the priority deadline will be given preference for the date on which their group interview is held.Submitting an application by the priority deadline DOES NOT guarantee an interview. However, due to the competitive nature of this process, we do encourage early submissions.
Application Closes: January 4th at 11:59pm EST.
Mentor selections are announced in March.
Have questions? Contact the International Mentoring Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.