Graduate Admission FAQs

  • What is the graduate application deadline?

    You should submit your application as early as possible. Please check with your department to verify the exact deadline for your program. Many graduate programs admit students to start in the Fall semester only.

    Look up your intended program >>

  • Where do I send my application materials?

    You must send your application materials directly to your academic department.

    Look up your intended program >>

  • How can I check the status of my application?

    OIA will not begin working on your file until your department makes an admission decision. 

    Contact your individual department >>

  • What is considered an “official, original” academic document?

    An official transcript, exam result, or degree certificate is a verification of the academic record issued from the original issuing source (i.e., college, university, examining board or secondary school), in the original language(s) in which the school executes official documents as a standard practice. Official documents must arrive in the original unopened envelope as issued by the originating institution. Official documents are not required until you have been admitted by IUPUI. Please note, there may be a few exceptions and our office will contact you through email with more information.

  • Do I have to submit my official degree certificate or diploma?

    Verification of graduation is required. Often a separate official degree certificate or diploma must be presented to verify the type of degree awarded and the date of award. In those cases where a separate, official diploma must be submitted to verify graduation, the official diploma will be returned to the student.
  • May I request the return of my official academic transcripts?

    No. All materials submitted in support of an IUPUI application become the property of IUPUI and are not returnable, forwarded, copied, or released to the student or to third parties. Students are advised to bring additional copies of their official educational documents in envelopes signed, sealed and stamped by the issuing institution should they have need of their official educational documents while in the U.S.
  • How can I get Graduate or Departmental Scholarships?

    OIA does not issue graduate or departmental scholarships. However, the individual programs often have many funding options. 

    Contact your individual department >>

  • Do I qualify for residency and in-state tuition?

    F-1 and J-1 students usually do not qualify for residency and therefore must pay non-resident tuition. Final residency determinations are made by the Office of the Registrar.

    Learn more about Indiana resident tuition-paying eligibility >>

    More detailed information is also provided on the IUPUI Office of the Registrar’s website: section Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Residence Classification may be particularly helpful.

  • Will you issue me an I-20 for a non-degree program?

     Our office does not typically issue visa documents (I-20 Certificate of Eligibility) for non-degree study. The exception to this policy is if a department is considering admission to a degree program for an applicant already in the U.S. on a student visa, and the student needs to take prerequisites prior to admission. If you have any questions about this process, please email us at
  • Do you provide conditional admission to students without English proficiency?

     A few of our Indiana University graduate programs will provide conditional admission letters to students who plan to first study English in the US before beginning their academic program. However, our office will not finalize your admission or issue an I-20 without English proficiency. Please contact the specific graduate department for more information. 
  • If I am admitted to the PIE (Program in Intensive English), am I also admitted to IUPUI?

    No, admission to PIE is only admission to a non-credit program and does not imply academic admission to IUPUI.
  • Can I apply to both the PIE and IUPUI at the same time?

    Yes, but you will need to fill out two separate applications and pay two separate application fees.

    Learn more about the PIE application >>

  • Where is my I-20?

    Immigration documents (I-20s, DS-2019s) are issued after your admission is finalized and after you have submitted proof of adequate financial support for your first year of study. You must first be admitted by your graduate department. The department will notify OIA of their decision, and then your admission must be finalized by OIA before your I-20 is issued.