Invite a B-1 or B-2 Visitor

The B-1/B-2 visitor visa can facilitate short-term visits for consultation, observation, presentations, conference participation, and independent research. It is not an appropriate visa for a paid employee position.

Further information on the B-1 visitor for business visa can be found here.

Usually a host department will provide an invitation letter. The visitor will be responsible for using that letter to apply for the B-1/B-2 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.

Visa Waiver Program

Some visitors will be citizens of countries who are permitted to visit the U.S. for 90 days or less without a visa. These visitors must use the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) and obtain a travel authorization before they travel to the U.S. on the visa waiver program.

Learn more about this system           Learn about the application process

Tax Implications

If the department wants to offer any type of financial support to the international visitor: honoraria, compensation of expenses, plane ticket, conference registration it is important to develop the payment and related tax strategy before the visitor's arrival.

Please visit the FMS website to understand more about the supporting documentation and tax requirements of compensating short-term visitors:

In general, if a visitor to IUPUI can only have reduced tax withholding if they are eligible for a tax treaty benefit. They can only obtain treaty benefits through applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer ID Number (ITIN).

If the visitor will be taxed (and generally it will be at the 30% rate), the department will want to consider increasing their payment to the visitor to offset this reduction in the amount of their financial support from IUPUI. In this case select "yes" on box 12 of the Tax Cover Sheet for International Visitors. The Tax Department (FMS) will gross-up the payment amount on the KFS document.