5th Session Vacation
PIE students are eligible to take a 5th session vacation (also called annual vacation) if they meet certain criteria:
- Must have attended at least 4 sessions at PIE
- Must be in legal status
- Must have been in legal status for at least 4 sessions
- Must apply for the 5th session vacation
- Must return to PIE for your 6th session
To apply for the 5th session vacation:
Go to One.iu.edu
Use your IUPUI username and passphrase to log into One.iu.edu.
Use the search bar and find iStart.
Click on the 'heart' shape in the lower right corner of the dashboard image and iStart will become one of your Favorite apps in One.iu.edu.
Log in to iStart
iStart may require you to log in after you click on the dashboard app. Use your IUPUI username and passphrase to access your account. You will also need to use your DUO authentication.
Find the 5th Session Vacation eForm.
You can request a 5th Session Vacation from the F-1 Student Services menu. This eForm must be submitted and approved before you can take your break from PIE.
Complete the 5th Session Vacation eForm
You must read through the questions on the eForm. You will be expected to know:
- When you started classes at PIE.
- What session you plan to take a break.
- What session you plan to return to PIE.
- Your insurance information while you will be on break
Once you have answered all the questions, click 'Submit' at the bottom of the screen.
Wait for approval
OIA advisors will review your request. If you are eligible, your record will be updated and you will be sent an approval email. OIA advisors will give you further instructions after approval.
Take a break
With an approved 5th session vacation, you are allowed to remain in the U.S. or you can travel abroad. We recommend you let the OIA and PIE know your plans in case you need help while you are on break.
Health insurance while on vacation
You must keep health insurance while you are on your vacation.
If you are sponsored by your government, make sure that your insurance will remain valid while on your break.
If you are a self-payer, you have two options for health insurance:
- Recommended: Let the OIA advisors know you would like to keep your PIE insurance. We will bill your Bursar record for your insurance premium only (no tuition). Your insurance will remain the same as when you are studying.
- Obtain a different insurance and give OIA advisors a copy of the insurance information.
Return to PIE
You must return to PIE after your session break. If you do not return to PIE, your immigration record will be updated to show that your last day at PIE was the date of your last attended session.
You will have 60 days to leave the U.S. or transfer to a new school after the date of your last attended session to keep your status legal.