Follow these steps to apply to IUPUI as an international freshman
You should apply for freshman status if you have never attended college or university before. You must earn a diploma from an accredited high school before you enroll at IUPUI.
Make sure to check our admission standards and deadlines before you start the application process. If you have questions, you can fill out our Request Information form to speak with a pre-application representative.Apply now
Step 1: Submit the Online Application
The online application takes about 30 minutes to complete. If necessary, you can save your work and log back in later to complete it.
All applicants use the same application to apply to IUPUI, whether they are interested in entering Indiana University programs or Purdue University programs on our campus.
You will need the following information to complete the application:
- Your citizenship
- What your immigration status will be when you come to IUPUI
- Your current status as a student in high school/secondary school or a recent graduate of high school/secondary school
- Your full name as it appears on your passport
- Your date of birth - Remember to use the American date order: month/day/year
- Your country and city of birth
- The academic program in which you want to study - This can be changed before you enroll. Exploratory/Undecided is also an option.
- Your permanent address outside of the United States
- Your phone number
- Your email address - All application instructions from IUPUI will go to this email account. No one else should apply to IUPUI with this email address.
- Third Party Contact - The name of a person who is authorized to contact us for you about your application, and whom we can contact about your application if we need to
- Term you want to start at IUPUI
- High schools/secondary schools you have attended
- Colleges or universities you have attended
- Time After Summary - Explanation of how you have spent your time if you have been out of school for more than three months
- SAT or ACT test scores - Required if you want to be considered for merit scholarships
- TOEFL or IELTS scores - List any test you have taken that could count towards proving your English Proficiency
- Your native language and whether or not you plan to study at an English language center in the United States before beginning academic study
- How you heard about IUPUI - Please be as specific as possible. We use this information to do a better job of sharing information with future students.
Verification that all information is correct and complete
A Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card to pay the nonrefundable $65 application fee.
Step 2: Submit Your Supporting Documents in iStart
You are required to submit some supporting documents. They include your academic records, proof of English proficiency, immigration documentation, financial documentation, and our Financial Support Agreement. You must submit all of the required documents by the deadline for your application to be considered complete.
Within 48 hours of submitting the online application, you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org that has instructions about how to submit your documents. You will submit them electronically through iStart, our online portal for international students. You will have to supply the original documents before you enroll.
You can also log into iStart to see your next steps and see which documents have been reviewed and accepted. Our international admissions team will contact you if there are any questions about your documents.
Step 3: Receive Your Academically Eligible or Decision Letter, Submit Final Documents, and Check Your Email
After you submit your academic records and we have determined that you have been academically admitted at IUPUI, we will notify you via a letter. You will be able to access the letter about your admission status in iStart.
If your government requires academic admission before you can get your other required documents (such as your financial documentation), you can use your Academically Eligible Letter to get those documents.
Also, be sure to check your email on a regular basis. We will email you if we need any additional documentation or if we have any other instructions for you.
Step 4: Submit Your SEVIS Transfer form (English Language or U.S. High School Only)
You will need to transfer your SEVIS record to IUPUI if you are currently on a student visa (F1) and are studying at a U.S. institution.
Log onto iStart and follow instructions for filling out and submitting the SEVIS Transfer Request Form.
After You Apply
After you submit your application and all of your materials, the waiting period until you hear if you have been admitted is usually four to six weeks. Learn more about what happens after you apply, including how to check your admission status.
- Learn how to receive credit for advanced course work (IB, AP, A Levels) you have completed.
- Read our answers to frequently asked questions about iStart.