Engage students and faculty in U.S. State Department foreign policy projects
IUPUI is one of 28 U.S. institutions of higher education that participates in the Diplomacy Lab, the U.S. State Department’s initiative to “‘course-source’ research and innovation related to foreign policy challenges”. Faculty and students can explore real-world challenges, contribute to the policymaking process, and further global learning.
How does it work?
The State Department identifies foreign policy projects in which faculty and their classes can be involved. Faculty from around the nation bid on the projects. If the bid is accepted, over the course of a semester, professors guide their students in developing a final work product that accomplishes goals outlined by the State Department. Students have opportunities throughout the semester to discuss their research with State Department officials.
What is a bid?
A bid is a 500 character proposal of why your department is suitable to address the challenge outlined in the project and how the faculty members and students will approach the project. A faculty member submits the bid to IUPUI’s institutional coordinator, Leslie Bozeman, who then compiles all the bids for submission.
Semester projects change with each bid cycle to address the most current global issues.View current Diplomacy Lab projects
Project Cycle and Campus Timeline
Diplomacy Lab member institutions can bid on project proposals developed by the State Department during the semester prior to the project semester. There is a set “bidding window”. The State Department informs the institutional coordinator of the specific dates, then the institutional coordinator announces the dates to the campus.
IUPUI Diplomacy Lab Institutional Coordinator
- Leslie Bozeman, Director, Curriculum Internationalization; Email: email@example.com
IUPUI Campus Liaisons
- Jeffrey Wilson, School of Liberal Arts; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jane Williams, School of Science; Email: email@example.com
- Shawn Boyne, School of Law; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wanda Worley, School of Engineering, University College; Email: email@example.com
- William Albert Foley (Bill), SPEA; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Suzann Lupton, SPEA; Email: email@example.com