Undergraduate Admission FAQs

  • What is the undergraduate application deadline?

    Fall Term (August)

    Early Decision
    Complete an application for admission and a second application to the Honors College to be considered for competitive scholarships by November 1      
    Standard Admissions
    Complete an application for admission to be automatically considered for merit scholarships by March 1
    For guaranteed on-campus housing submit your housing application and fee by March 15

    Spring Term (January)

    Standard Admissions
    Complete an application for admission to be automatically considered for merit scholarships by October 1  

    Late Applications

    All applications submitted after the deadlines listed above will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

  • How do I apply for scholarships?

    Students are automatically considered for merit scholarships during the application process. Competitive scholarships require you to submit a separate application to the Honors College. To maximize scholarship opportunities, you should submit all required documents as early as possible.

    Scholarships for Freshman Students Scholarships for Transfer Students

  • How long will it take to receive an admissions decision after I complete my application?

    After you submit your application and all of your materials, the waiting period until you hear if you have been admitted is usually four to six weeks. Learn more about what happens after you apply, including how to check your admission status: 

    Information After You Apply >>

  • How can I check the status of my application? Where can I see my admission letter?

    You can check your status and view your admission letter in iStart. For any questions related to iStart, please refer to our iStart FAQ page: 

    iStart FAQ Page >>

  • What is considered an “official, original” academic document?

    An official transcript, exam result, or degree certificate is a verification of the academic record issued from the original issuing source (i.e., college, university, examining board or secondary school), in the original language(s) in which the school executes official documents as a standard practice. Official documents must arrive in the original unopened envelope as issued by the originating institution.

  • Do I have to submit my official degree certificate or diploma?

    Verification of graduation is required. Often a separate official degree certificate or diploma must be presented to verify the type of degree awarded and the date of award. In those cases where a separate, official diploma must be submitted to verify graduation, the official diploma will be returned to the student.

  • May I request the return of my official academic transcripts?

    No. All materials submitted in support of an IUPUI application become the property of IUPUI and are not returnable, forwarded, copied, or released to the student or to third parties. Students are advised to bring additional copies of their official educational documents in envelopes signed, sealed and stamped by the issuing institution should they have need of their official educational documents while in the U.S.

  • How can I get my transcripts evaluated for transfer credit?

    We will send the preliminary transfer credits evaluation to you via email within 2-3 weeks after you are fully admitted based on the unofficial transcripts provided by you. The actual credits will be reviewed and applied to your account upon the receipt of an official copy of your transcripts issued in a sealed envelope from the originating institution. If you have any questions on transfer evaluation, please email tccredit@iupui.edu.

  • Can I apply to a non-degree program if I am on an F-1 visa?

    Our office does not typically issue visa documents (I-20 Certificate of Eligibility) for non-degree study. The exception to this policy is if a department is considering admission to a degree program for an applicant already in the U.S. on a student visa, and the student needs to take pre-requisites prior to admission. If you have any questions about this process, please email us at oiaunder@iupui.edu

  • Do I qualify for residency and in-state tuition?

    F-1 and J-1 students usually do not qualify for residency and therefore must pay non-resident tuition. Final residency determinations are made by the Office of the Registrar. This document provides a basic explanation of the eligibility for Indiana resident tuition-paying status:

    Learn more about Indiana resident tuition-paying eligibility >>

    More detailed information is also provided on the IUPUI Office of the Registrar’s website: registrar.iupui.edu/resident. The section Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Residence Classification may be particularly helpful.

  • Do you provide conditional admission to students without English proficiency?

    If you apply and meet all other academic requirements, we will issue an Academically Eligible letter, which states that you will be admissible once we receive your proof of English proficiency. Please see our website for our English proficiency requirements

  • If I am admitted to the PIE (Program in Intensive English), am I also admitted to IUPUI?

    No, admission to PIE is only admission to a non-credit program and does not imply academic admission to IUPUI.
  • Can I apply to both the PIE and IUPUI at the same time?

    Yes, but you will need to fill out two separate applications and pay two separate application fees.

    Learn more about the PIE application >>

  • With whom can International Admissions share information about the status of my application?

    Due to FERPA laws, International Admissions can only share information with the applicant and anyone who was listed on the application as a Third-Party Contact or has been indicated on a signed Information Release form.