I-20 Extensions

You should never let your I-20 expire if you are still working on your academic program. If you need more time to complete your studies, you should apply for an extension of your I-20.

Starting a new program? Complete the New Program I-20 Request eform in iStart instead of requesting an extension.
How to Apply
  1. Talk to your academic advisor. Discuss your academic plan to find out how many more semesters you need before completing your program.
  2. Collect financial documentation sufficient to cover the cost of your remaining tuition, fees and living expenses. Use the Tuition and Fees Calculator to estimate your tuition and fee costs. Estimated living expenses can be found here. If you are providing a bank statement from a sponsor, please include a letter of support from that person.
  3. Complete the I-20 Extension Request form in istart.iu.edu. You will be required to upload your financial documents and provide the name and email address of your advisor. The form will be sent to your advisor by email.
  4. After your advisor completes the form, OIA will process your request within 2 weeks.