International Student Emergency Funding (COVID-19)
International Student Application for Emergency Funding (COVID-19)
Funding for the OIA Emergency Fund is limited and currently all grant amounts have been awarded. The Emergency Fund is still able to award loan amounts to assist international students struggling to meet basic needs (rent, food, utilities, etc.) due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Complete applications will be reviewed weekly until available funds have been awarded. It is recommended that you apply early in order to be considered.
The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in financial challenges for many members of the IUPUI community. The Office of International Affairs is committed to supporting international students experiencing financial hardship.
If you are struggling with basic needs such as food, housing, or technology needed for on-going study as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may be eligible to apply for the International Student Emergency Fund. Awards are limited and may be offered in the form of grants (scholarships), educational loans or a combination of the two. Be sure to consider other funding opportunities that may be available to you, as well as the wide rage of resources on Help Me R.O.A.R. that can help you reduce your overall expenses.
Please read all the information below before submitting your application. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
If you are an IUPUI graduate or undergraduate student from abroad on an F-1 or J-1 visa, you may apply for grant or loan assistance if you meet the following requirements:
- Able to document unexpected financial challenges as a result of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This financial need must have developed after starting your academic program. (In other words, you must have had sufficient funding when starting your program, as demonstrated in your financial documentation.)
- Currently enrolled in a degree program. (Please note that we are unable to consider students in certificate programs at this time.)
- Maintaining legal F-1 or J-1 student visa status and enrolled at least 1/2 time.
- Assessed IUPUI tuition at the non-resident student rate.
How am I selected for an award?
Priority is given to those students who:
- Demonstrate an unexpected financial challenge as a result of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in their application and supporting documents.
- Need assistance with basic needs or technology expenses.
- Are nearing graduation.
These criteria will be used by a committee to determine grant and loan awards. Additional information may be requested in order to make a decision on your application. Decisions are typically made within one week once all application documents are received. Any award will be applied to your bursar account.
How Much Will I Be Awarded?
The amount awarded varies according to the financial need of the student and on-going availability of funding. Awards typically rangebetween $500 and $1,000 in a combination of loan and grant amounts. We try to meet the needs of individual students while providing emergency assistance to as many as possible. We encourage you to consider this emergency funding along with other ways to meet your needs.
How Do I Apply?
Complete the Emergency Funding Application (COVID-19) e-form in Atlas. After logging in with your IU credentials, you will find the Emergency Fund Application e-form under Insurance and Finances. Our staff will email you if additional information is required to process your appliction.