Food at the Festival
Every year, 5-6 student and scholar submitted recipes from around the world are selected and served at the festival itself.
Once the recipes have been recieved, our IUPUI International Festival Planning Committee selects recipes to test and sends them to Chartwells, the campus catering company. We work with Chartwells to identify 5-6 foods from as many different countries as possible, then serve samples to festival visitors.
2020 Festival Foods
This year, the Office of International Affairs and Chartwells are pleased to bring you 6 dishes from all over the world. Samples will be served from 11:00 am - 2:00 pm on February 27, 2020 in the IUPUI Campus Center Atrium.
- Aloo Chaat - an Indian crispy potato side dish made with ginger, green chilies, and aromatic spices
- Chakalaka - a savory stew-like mix of vegetable from South Africa, with beans, tomato, carrots, and spicy peppers
- Pastel de Choclo - a Chilean casserole main course, made with beef and chicken and topped with corn (or choclo if you're speaking mapudungun)
- Vietnamese Tapioca - this sweet dessert from Vietnam pairs tapioca pearls with creamy coconut milk
- Scottish Shortbread - a traditional dessert from Scotland is the perfect crumbly cookie to pair with a warm drink
- Milk Tea - try the original beverage that inspired boba tea by drinking this Japanese take on English tea
Can't wait 'til February 27 to try these recipes? Get a preview tasting in your own kitchen:
Previous Year's Dishes
2019 Festival Foods
- Acuka - a Turkish dip made from walnuts and goat cheese, served with pita
- Chicken Shawarma - an Indian-spiced version of the dish eaten all over the Middle East. Served with a yogurt sauce and pita
- Spicy Potato Salad - a light, spicy side dish from China, flavored with hot chilies, sesame oil, and a touch of sugar, tossed with scallions
- Malva Pudding - a sweet South African dessert made with eggs, sugar, butter, cream, and just a touch of apricot.
- Mango Lassi - a smoothie-like drink from India, perfect for hot days and delightfully sweet
Like what you tasted? Try making your own version of our international foods:
Samples of all five dishes were served from 11 am - 2 pmall around the Campus Center Atrium and Lower Level.