How Do I Extend My H-1B Status?

The steps to extend your status are the same as the steps to apply for your initial status. This must be initiated by your campus department. Please talk to your host professor about extending your H-1B status.

Remember: You can maintain H-1B status for a maximum of six years. Your initial H-1B status can be granted for up to three years, and you can renew your status for up to three additional years.