IHP for Hosts
Welcome an international student to Indy and expand your world
Alumni, faculty, or staff of any Indiana University campus who are currently living in the Indy area can sign up to be matched with an international student.
Read about an IHP match - Flor Phillips and YanMei Lou who celebrated Thanksgiving together.
What will I do with my student?
The International Host Program (IHP) will plan an initial event to meet your student and send periodic suggestions or invitations to special events. The rest is up to you!
You can introduce life in Indianapolis to your student and provide them with a personal experience of American culture. This could include going to sporting events, festivals, or museums. You may invite your student to your home for a meal, and introduce them to your traditions.
Hosts can also learn about their student’s home country culture, traditions and lifestyle, plus engage in events at IUPUI
Hosts and students are encouraged to meet up at least once each month.
Will my student live with me?
No, an international host is not the same as a homestay family. You will see your student about once or twice each month.
How long do I stay matched with my student?
Host and student matches last for 4-5 months. After that, students and hosts may continue to contact each other if they wish to do so. Or, they can sign up for a new student or host match.
What are the benefits of being in the International Host Program?
- Exposure to a diverse group of cultures from around the world
- Become more globally aware
- Build a mutually rewarding and beneficial friendship
- Experience the diversity of IUPUI
What is expected of Hosts?
- Meet with your student at least once a month
- Be a source of support for the student
- Invite student to family gatherings, work events (if appropriate), IUPUI athletics events, etc.
- Participate in events hosted by the Office of Alumni Relations and the Office of International Affairs
How do I join?
To join as a host, fill out the International Host Program sign up form below. If you experience difficulty submitting the form, please try this link.Join IHP Now